Friday 14 September 2012

As first blogs go...

So this is interesting.

I've always liked writing. Dare I say it, I'm kind of good at it. Well, okay, for anyone who knows me, I perhaps write too much - at least for Facebook (in their opinion.) While I'm capable of keeping myself to 140 characters for Twitter, I still do use "TwitLonger" occasionally.

I guess it should've occurred to me sooner to write a blog. The idea has sort of been floating around in my head for a little while, but for quite a while, I guess, I didn't really get them. I didn't read them particularly often, either. So I guess there was a little voice in the back of my mind stopping me, saying, "Why write something that you wouldn't read yourself?"

Now, of course, I am a bit more accustomed to blogs. The only one that I'm a regular reader of is House Of Coxhead (which, if you don't know, is a very good, very successful music blog, rather than a blog that involves an awful lot of writing, but still), but I get blogs a lot more now, and I do read the odd blog post from various people.

A little while ago, a few weeks back I think, it was my Mum who said to me that I should write a blog, to save people having to read some of my particularly long facebook statuses. At the time (and make no mistake, I still maintain this), I'd said something along the lines of "Well, they don't have to read it if they don't want to." I mean, seriously, just because it's there, it doesn't mean you have to read it. I don't exactly put up really long facebook statuses about what I ate for breakfeast or the fact that I just got out of the shower. When I do write statuses that long, they're often heartfelt or to do with something that I (and fairly often, others) feel strongly about. So, if you are reading this and you're one of my facebook friends, don't necessarily expect me to hold back in terms of facebook status lengths now, simply because of this blog :P

But then, fairly recently, I put up a status about missing some of my friends and teachers who I was missing. I recently started Sixth Form at my school, and as is usual for a lot of schools when a year group finishes their GCSEs, not everyone stayed on. Some of my friends that I've made over the course of my first 5 years did indeed move on. As did some of the teachers, and rather unfortunately, a lot of these ones meant an awful lot to me and my peers.
The flip side to this, mind you, is that now there's no rule against being friends with these teachers on facebook. So, one of these teachers who saw my status, commented and said that it would be great if I could write a blog to keep himself and the others who have left informed as to the happenings at Ashcroft (formerly ADT College, but that's a different story.)

So that brought the idea back to the forefront of my mind again, and made me think, "Actually, maybe I should write a blog."

One thing I want to make clear though - I do not intend to be simply blogging about school, or one particular thing. I've decided that I wanted to write a blog that reflected me, and my diverse personality, likes and dislikes. I've seen a lot of blogs and tumblrs which are all dedicated to one specific subject, (House Of Coxhead being one of them, though music is obviously quite a diverse subject in itself) but I don't want to write a blog like that. While I'm sure writing blogs like those is fun, then people aren't really like that. They have more than one interest, and that's what I wanted to get across, and show about me as a person through this blog.

There will be days where I'll write big long blog posts like this. There will also be days where I'll just post a link to a new video or music track sharing a brief comment. That's just me. That might not be to everyone's taste. But the advantage of it means I will blog about a variety of different things, so for most people, it's bound to suit one of your interests, somewhere along the line.

Some of you might want to follow my blog quite closely to see what I post. Some of you might get to a point where you'll just check up every now and then to see if I've posted anything of interest to you.

Either way, I hope you enjoy this little blog of mine, and I apologise that, as first blog posts go, this one isn't massively coherent. I'll get better as I go along (hopefully :P ).

Henry.

P.S. Yes, I do have a big enough ego to believe people will actually want to read what I have to say :P

No comments:

Post a Comment